Webster Adjunct Information
HomeAdjunct FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions

Watch websteradjunctinfo.org for more announcements, and don't forget to sign up for alerts to receive an email notification when the website is updated.

Tuition Remission

Q: At what point (time of service) can an adjunct faculty receive tuition remission, and how much can they receive?
... Joey Edwards - July 11, 2017.

A: Active adjuncts may earn up to six credit hours of tuition benefits per academic year after completing 36 credit hours or 4 academic years of teaching. Additionally, Webster offers tuition benefits for one spouse/domestic partner/dependent child after a faculty member completes 72 credit hours or 8 academic years of teaching. For complete guidelines, please visit http://www.webster.edu/human-resources/benefits/#tuitionremission. To verify eligibility for tuition remission, please contact Rita Smith in the Office of Academic Affairs, kosemund@webster.edu.
Q: How does payment for online teaching compare with payment for traditional teaching? ... Anonymous - January 11, 2017.

A: Typically, eligible faculty who teach approved, fully online courses with qualifying enrollment receive a higher compensation rate. Please contact the Office of Academic Affairs at (314) 246-6905, or oacadaff@webster.edu, for information on current rates, eligibility requirements, and conditions for online teaching.

Q: Where do I download a tuition remission form? ... Anonymous – December 23, 2015

A: You may find it here. Other useful HR forms can be found on the Human Resources “forms” site, located at Webster.edu/human-resources/forms.html. If you have questions, please contact Paula Eschmann, Benefits Coordinator at paulaeschmann91@webster.edu.

Q: Hi, I just read your answer regarding tuition reimbursement for the Adjunct Professor. As other universities provide...does Webster also have this policy for family members (children) of the Adjunct Professor? ... Kimberly Gronek - December 5, 2016.

A: Yes we recently enhanced our offerings in this area. One spouse/domestic partner OR one dependent child (per IRS rules) is eligible for tuition remission of 50 percent of current tuition rates, provided an adjunct faculty member has taught 72 credit hours or 8 academic years with Webster University and is actively teaching at the time of enrollment. This does not apply to doctoral programs and other program exclusions may apply. Please take a look here for more information.

Q: Is it possible for more than the 6 credits a year to qualify for tuition remission. Currently, the tuition remission is considered non-taxable income for the 6 credits offered to qualified adjuncts. Is it possible to take more than 6 credits and have the tuition be considered taxable? This would be a paper adjustment and no real additional cost to the university. I would pay the tax on the addition courses that I would take beyond the 6 credits offered. If this is not possible at this time, please consider it as it is another way for adjuncts to further their knowledge and potentially gain an interdisciplinary education to better serve Webster University. ... Adam Reisz – December 1, 2015

A: Webster University is unique in that it provides a tuition remission benefit for adjunct faculty, which covers up to 6 credit hours per academic year if the faculty member has taught for four years or 36 credit hours. This benefit is not available to part-time staff.

The taxation issue is directed by IRS regulations, which require that all graduate tuition valued in excess of $5,250 per calendar year be considered a taxable benefit to employees. We periodically review our tuition remission benefit for competitiveness, and we will consider your request as we evaluate this and other issues related to our adjunct faculty.

Q: Is tuition assistance available for an adjunct instructor that would like to pursue a doctorate in Management? ... Christopher Reams - November 16, 2016.

A: Please check out our adjunct Tuition Remission Policy here.. The benefit was recently enhanced.

Generally, adjunct faculty who have taught 36 hours or four academic years with Webster are eligible for up to nine credit hours of tuition remission per academic year for any academic year in which they teach. While other criteria may apply (please see official policy), this benefit does not cover doctoral programs.

Please review the policy carefully and check in with your department chair, if you have any additional questions. Thank you.

In the Classroom

Q: How do you apply to teach online business courses?... Anonymous - May 6, 2020.

A: Thank you for your question. Please visit here for information about available positions and how to apply.

Q: How do (adjunct) faculty access end-of-semester course evaluations that students complete online?... Anonymous - February 26, 2020.

A: Please request the evaluation from your department chair or program coordinator.

Q: Hi! I was wondering if there are any university awards or recognition for excellent student writing. I have several students who have written beautiful essays, but my contact in my home department was not aware of any particular call or prize. Thanks! ... Sara - March 6, 2019.

A: Great question. We do have an annual Freshman Writing Award, which is offered to encourage and recognize excellence in student writing and help foster a culture of writing at the University.

To be eligible, a student must have been a first-semester freshman in the fall term. All genres will be considered, provided they are a minimum of 500 words, written in English, and written for a class taught by a full-time or adjunct faculty member at Webster University during the fall semester.

For more information on submission requirements, you can visit here .

Q: I'm teaching a course in the summer and need to put the syllabus online (concourse?) How do I do that ... James Hanley - March 23, 2018.

A: Thank you for your inquiry about posting your syllabus online. Here is a link to some information about it and other tools. You will need to use World Classroom to post your syllabus online. . In addition, you may also contact the Faculty Development Center for additional training and support.

Q: When the due date for the proposal for the 2018 freshman seminar? Thanks. ... Cheryl Jarvis- December 22, 2017.

A: Bill Lynch is the new director of first year seminars. Proposals for seminars for incoming, first-time, and traditional students are due January 17, 2018. As you may know, the First Year Seminar (FRSH 1200) is the first course in the Global Citizenship Program of undergraduate general education. It provides students an interdisciplinary academic experience in a community of learners who are all new to college. These seminars emphasize the skills of integrative learning, critical thinking, and both written and oral communication.

To submit a proposal, please follow this Qualtrics link:


Q: Where can I find the change of grade form? ... Anonymous- December 13, 2017.

A: Faculty members may see their department chair or extended campus director for a copy of the form.

Q: I taught HRMG5700 this past term and was wondering how to access the student survey of me. Thank you. ... Leo Myers - November 3, 2017.

A: Thanks for your inquiry. You may contact your department chair to get that information. We will contact you privately with that information.

Q: How do I get the latest version of my textbook? ... Mathew Buyer - November 9, 2016.

A: We recommend that you first touch base with your department chair. Your Chair appears to be Joseph Roberts, Chair and Professor of the Management Department. He may be reached at (314) 246-7537 or joeroberts@webster.edu.

Q: On the Main Campus, School of Business and Technology, the instructions for submitting our attendance rosters for the first two weeks, now say that we are to put them in the departmental box, located by the side entrance on the first floor, by 8:30 p.m. Why not at 9:30 p.m. when we leave? Why the extra trip? Is anybody reviewing them from 8:30 to 9:30? ... Anonymous - April 20, 2016

A: Faculty members of the Walker School of Business and Technology teaching at the Webster Groves campus need only to drop off their rosters before they leave the East Academic Building (EAB) after their class concludes for the evening. As you correctly surmised, the departments do not collect the rosters until the following morning. If you are unable to do so at the end of class for any reason, then returning the roster to your department within 24 hours is acceptable as well. If you have questions or concerns regarding your attendance rosters and/or the drop-off process, you may contact Debbie Ray, at 314-246-7685 or kountzde@webster.edu for assistance.

We hope this resolves your concern.

Q: The "reasonable accommodations" for disabled students set forth in letters by the Main campus Academic Resource Center, have been increasing over the years. Who is responsible for making/reformatting all course materials in at least 16 font? Who is responsible for obtaining textbooks in alternative format? Some adjuncts use scantron tests, and now they seem to be prohibited. If you have a disabled student, what assistance is Webster going to provide? Will Adjuncts receive extra pay for all of this extra work? ... Anonymous - March 16, 2016

A: If one of your students needs an accommodation, please work through the Academic Resource Center (ARC), and our ADA coordinator, Shelley Wolfmeyer (phone: 314-246-7700; email: shelleywolfmeyer@webster.edu. She and the other ARC representatives will be happy to assist you on these accommodations on a case-by-case basis. If the student is located at an extended site, please also include the site director as you seek help.

While teachers are responsible for enlarging font size, there are different levels of visual impairments and exams would need to be enlarged. Scantron tests, while not prohibited, are not desirable for all students. With these (and other) issues in mind, we again suggest coordinating with the personnel at the ARC.

Finally, additional compensation for handling these matters is not available.

Q: On the rare occasions that we find a single student disruptive in class, a private conversation with the student is in order. On the even more rare occasion when the student continues to be disruptive in class, what is the recommended procedure to move this to the next level?... Anonymous - February 23, 2016

A: Our classroom disruption policy, which covers any disruption within a class, is as follows:

  • Address it/document it/report it to the department chair and the Dean of Students Office
  • Remove the student from the class session, if persistent
  • Make expectations clear during a private conversation with the student
  • If continued, refer to academic dean (or designee) for consideration of removal from course
  • Academic dean (or designee) meets with student to hear from them and then makes a decision
  • Student may then appeal to provost

Q: How does the student dismissal process work at Webster?... Anonymous - February 3, 2016

A: Students may be dismissed due to their academic performance. The dismissal is automatic based on grades earned, and the process is the same for all students in all locations and online. Both the Graduate and Undergraduate Studies Catalogs describe when dismissal automatically occurs. For graduate students, see the following link concerning dismissals: http://www.webster.edu/catalog/current/graduate-catalog/academic-policies.html#warning.

For undergraduate students, see this link and click on Academic Progress: http://www.webster.edu/catalog/current/undergraduate-catalog/academic-policies.html#progress. When students are dismissed due to academic performance, they may request to be reinstated to the university. The catalog also provides the process to request reinstatement, which includes gathering feedback from faculty members. In addition, students who believe the grade was improperly awarded may also appeal the grade. Again, the process for grade appeals is outlined in the catalog; the process starts with the student contacting the faculty member.

Students may also be dismissed due to academic dishonesty. In serious cases of dishonesty, a faculty member informs the Dean of the appropriate school, and the Dean determines whether to refer the case to the Academic Honesty Board. If a student is referred to the Academic Honesty Board, the Board will set up a hearing. Both sides are heard, and both sides can submit any information they believe is relevant. The Board determines whether academic dishonesty has been committed and, if so, what the appropriate sanction should be. The most severe sanction is dismissal from the University.

Q: I am an adjunct professor who has not taught a class in a few years. Can you give me instructions as to how to logging in and uploading my course syllabus? ... Glenna Lunday – December 23, 2015

A: To upload a syllabus, the Walker School relies on a program called “Concourse.”

To view a tutorial on using Concourse, please visit here. On this page, titled “Walker School: Faculty Resources, there are a number of helpful links to give you access to services and tools available to you at Webster University. For the Concourse tutorial, please scroll about two-thirds down the page to find the tutorials offered. Look for the “Accessing the Concourse Syllabus Generator,” and click to view as instructed.

Campus Protocols and Procedures

Q: I see that there will be a new parking tag procedure, which also includes adjunct parking. Since this has been a fluid practice in the past, what do you recommend we do now? … Bill Elliott - June 8, 2018

A: Thanks for your question. According to Public Safety, the parking permit process and pricing remains the same for 2018-19 as it was for 2017-18. That means you can obtain an annual permit for $20. Visit this link to view details.. Taking things to a bottom line, you may secure a permit by visiting the Department of Public Safety at 572 Garden Avenue Monday through Friday during regular business hours.

What is new this year is that faculty and staff permits are now being issued non-expiring permits.

Q: Where do I go to find room assignment for course I am teaching?... Anonymous - August 31, 2017

A: Please contact your department chair or program coordinator.

Q: How many classes may an adjunct teach in one semester/year?... Cheryl Breig-Allen - July 11, 2017

A: In general, faculty may teach no more than two courses at any given time and no more than eight courses per academic year. Number of credit hours per course and non-teaching appointments may be factors in determining an individual’s teaching load. The complete policy may be found in Connections under the Office of Academic Affairs Policies and Guidelines section.

Notes: As noted above, because of a recent update, the Connections interface may not operate normally. IT is aware of the issues and is working to resolve them.

Q: How do new adjunct faculty find out what their Webster email address is?... Anonymous - January 8, 2016

A: If you have lost or misplaced your Webster.edu email address or credentials, please contact Theresa Altmann in Academic Affairs (altmantm@webster.edu).

If you are new to Webster, you may check with your department chair (or the director, if you are at one of our extended campuses).

Everyone, please keep in mind you may forward you Webster.edu email directly to a personal account that you may check more often. To learn how to do so, please visit this link.

Q: What is the maximum number of classes an Adjunct Professor may teach in a school year? Thank you!! ... Anonymous - November 9, 2016.

A: To access the "Teaching and Administrative Load Policy for Domestic (US Campuses) for Part-time Faculty," please log on to your Connections account. Click on the Faculty tab and scroll down to the Office of Academic Affairs Policies and Guidelines in the center column on the page. Further questions can be directed to your department chair or campus director.

Q: Hello, Where do I pick a faculty id badge? Thanks! ... Anonymous - March 16, 2016

Thank you for getting the parking fees waived for adjuncts. That is a great move forward. I am currently teaching only online, so I suppose this is why I was never offered to get a Webster faculty ID, but I am frequently on campus to meet with my department (Biological Sciences) and OLC. Assuming I need an ID to get a parking permit, where do I go to get this and what do I have to present? ... Peter Takes

I've taught at Webster for 4 years, but I was never given instructions on getting a campus ID. Where do I go to get the process started to get an ID, so I can then get a Metro Pass? ... Anonymous - March 16, 2016

A: The Office of Public Safety, which is located at 572 Garden Avenue, issues Faculty ID badges. Please bring your faculty ID number, and Public Safety will take your photo and issue you an ID on the spot. To obtain a free Metro Pass, please visit the Bursar’s Office, which is located in Webster Hall.

Q: This is a comment. I was surprised and delighted to see the news about the free parking pass. I know that parking was one of the frequently voiced topics among adjuncts, and it's heartening to see the administration's response. I understand that it's for Spring only (I'm assuming some sort of evaluation will follow). But in the here and now, it makes a difference. So...for whoever might read this: my message to Webster is: Thank you. ... Anene Tressler-Hauschultz - March 16, 2016

A: Thank you – for your service and all you do for our students!

Q: I’m not sure if it has been brought up in previous online conversations, however, I’ve heard it mentioned numerous times in person: For what reason(s) are faculty, especially adjunct faculty, charged to park on campus? Adjunct faculty are brought in individually to teach only a few classes/sections and as such often do not spend much time on campus. Sure the university does not require the additional parking funds of those they ask to teach... Anonymous - February 3, 2016

A: The fees charged for parking privileges are used primarily for facilities maintenance and upkeep. All faculty and staff must pay to park on campus, just as students – whether – whether full- or part-time – must pay for parking privileges.

This year, in an effort to respond to adjunct faculty concerns, we implemented a new parking payment system whereby the $7.65 per pay check parking fee would be deducted ONLY when a faculty member receives a paycheck. So, if an adjunct is not teaching during a term or a semester and therefore not receiving a paycheck, a deduction will not be taken.

The University also offers free Metro passes (good for trains and busses) for all Webster University faculty (including adjuncts), staff, and students, which are available at the Bursar’s Office with a valid Webster ID.

Q: Are we permitted to take students on Field Trips? If so, are waivers required and where can we find them? Anything information on this is helpful, thank you. ... Anonymous – December 23, 2015

A: Please check with your department on policies specific to your area. Faculty members taking students on such an excursion are required to fill out a Field Trip Data Form, while students are required to complete an Activity Participation Certificate and turn it in to you as the teaching faculty member.

Once both tasks are completed, please send copies of both the Field Trip Data Form and each student’s Activity Participation Certificate to the following:

Saa Meier
Loretto Hall, Room 260
Email: Kitprasu@webster.edu

Q: As an adjunct, I do not feel that I receive pertinent communications at all. As I only teach a course once a year, I do not make a habit to check my Webster email account on a daily basis. It is my feeling that I shouldn't either. It would be excellent if adjuncts could update a preferred method of contact for pertinent communications so that I could direct those communications through my daytime work email or personal email. While I understand that it is perhaps my responsibility to check my Webster email daily, but when I only use it for maybe 8-11 weeks, I feel that this expectation isn't very realistic. Please consider creating a platform for adjuncts to adjust their preferred method of contact. Thank you. ... Erik Lueders - November 4, 2015

A: A top priority is to communicate more effectively with our employees and provide them the information they need when they need it. In addition to this new website and its new communication features, we will also use e-mail and letters to home addresses. Having e-mail go to your preferred address, which you can change at any time, is helpful to all of us. We try to make it easy to forward the Webster e-mails directly to your personal e-mail account. You can find out how to do this by visiting this link.

Meeting Spaces

Q: Are there offices available in classroom buildings that are set aside for adjuncts, regardless of their department? For instance, the East Academic Building? I teach here often, but it is far away from my department’s other classes. ... Anonymous - November 9, 2016.

A: On the Webster campus, we currently have rooms set up in four locations. To gain access to these areas, please reach out to the contacts listed below:

Home Campus

  • Sverdrup Building, Room 208

    Susan Napoleon
    Assistant to the Dean
  • Webster Hall, Room 219

    Debby Miller
    Director of Operations
    College of Arts and Sciences
  • Webster Hall 239B (equipped with two desktop computers and a printer)

    Dawna Moore
    Director of Operations
    School of Education
  • EAB, Room 237 (Room access requires a passcode, and is also equipped with 6 or 7 work stations, printer, copier, etc.)

    Lori Sharp
    Director of Operations and Adjunct Faculty Administration
    Walker School of Business and Technology (EAB 300)

Becoming An Adjunct

Q: Are there any requirements that an adjunct Professor live in the state of Missouri to teach at the Webster Groves campus? ... Anonymous - September 16, 2020.

A: The answer is “no,” similar to any employee. They are taxed based on work location, not home location, so it is not an issue where they reside.

Q: Hello... I'm inquiring to learn if there are any adjunct Music Appreciation positions in N Charleston. Thanks. ... David Friddle - March 9, 2017.

A: For a list of current list of full-time and adjunct faculty and staff openings, please visit our Human Resources webpage.

Q: I would like to apply for teaching position Part-Time in the Art Department. I have just moved back to St. Louis from Seattle after 12years where I taught college level courses at the Art Institute of Seattle and Cornish College. I have a masters in Fine Art from Northwestern U. and over 20 years of teaching and am a professional artist now living in the CWE of St. Louis. ... Linda Horsley - October 10, 2016.

A: Welcome back to St. Louis. For a list of current faculty openings at our Home and extended campuses in the St. Louis area, please visit our Human Resources webpage.

We also recommend that you send a letter of interest and your CV to the chair of the academic department in which you would like to teach. In your case, it’s Tom Lang, chair of the Department of Art, Design, and History. You may reach him at: langtk@webster.edu.

Full-time faculty appointments, which include status-track faculty, instructors, and lecturers, are also posted on the Human Resource web page when they are available.

Your Benefits As An Adjunct

Q: Do you provide digital access to the digital New York Times? ... Patti Riggle - April 24, 2020. 

A: Yes, we do. To access, please sign in to your Connections account. From the home page, select the “Faculty” tab. When there, the right column will give you instructions on how to access. Thank you for your question. 

Q: Is there any waiver process to the time in service of 4 academic years of teaching in order to qualify for tuition remission? I am currently in my third academic year as an adjunct faculty at NSA Millington TN. and would really like to start on my MBA. Thank you. ... Homer Elam - November 1, 2019. 

A: Thank you for your question and your service. Unfortunately, Homer, we are unable to grant exceptions to university policies and benefits. 

Q: Is discounted parking be provided again for the 2017-2018 school year? ... Elizabeth Sausele - August 31, 2017.

A: Yes. The cost for a parking permit will remain $20 and is good for the entire 2017-18 academic year. You may pick one up at the Office of Public Safety.

Q: Will grants be available to adjunct faculty as was done last year? If so, when will the process begin and details be available? Thank you ... Mayer Nudell - July 11, 2017.

A: Yes, domestic adjunct faculty will have the opportunity to apply for professional development grants again. Applications will open August 15, 2017.

Watch websteradjunctinfo.org and Webster Today for more information. For complete guidelines, please reference the Office of Academic Affairs Policies and Guidelines section in Connections.

PLEASE NOTE: IT recently “upgraded” Connections, but there are still some issues being worked out. Until these issues are resolved, folks may not be able to see the Office of Academic Affairs Policies and Guidelines channel.

Q: A while ago, I received an email stating that Adjunct faculty would now be entitled to a $1000 professional development stipend to attend conferences. I cannot seem to find the email. I had papers accepted to present at an upcoming conference and I would like to know which entity to contact regarding requesting the stipend. Thank you ... Edythe Weeks - September 2, 2016.

A: Thanks for your question. On August 23, we sent an email to all adjunct faculty (using their Webster.edu email address) announcing that applications are being accepted for grants from the new Adjunct Faculty Development Fund. This is a competitive process, and you may find a copy of the application here. Please note that the deadline for applications is September 15.

To qualify, adjunct faculty members must meet the following criteria:

  • Teach and live in the U.S.
  • Must have taught at least 27 credit hours or three academic years
  • Must be teaching or scheduled to teach at the time of application.

For your reference, here is a link to the earlier email, which is posted on websteradjunctinfo.org, and offers additional details.

Good luck with your application.

Q: Free Metro Passes – Do adjuncts qualify? ... Jim Marchbank – December 1, 2015

A: Yes, adjunct faculty, along with students and staff are able to obtain free “UPasses” with their Webster University photo ID from the Bursar’s Office, which is located in Webster Hall, Room 101. The office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The UPass enables you to ride Metrobus and Metrolink for free. Please note that Metrobuses run regularly between the Shrewsbury Metrolink station and the front of Webster Hall. Parking is also available at the Shrewsbury Station parking lot. For additional information, please visit here.

Q: Dear Sir or Madam; I have had the opportunity as an adjunct to teach at our international campuses. Other adjuncts have asked me about the process to apply to teach abroad. May I suggest that a link be added to the Resources for Faculty page and include comments about this opportunity on the Adjunct Resources page on this new website. If so, please include an instruction to click on Faculty Mobility Scholarship to access the policy and procedure. ... Anonymous – November 24, 2015

A: Webster University does offer a Faculty Mobility Fellowship program, which provides opportunities for Webster faculty to teach abroad at one of our international campuses. Adjuncts who have taught six courses at Webster are eligible for the program.

Adjunct faculty interested in this program are advised to speak to their department chair, program director or their campus director, as coordinating faculty mobility requires matching the faculty member’s expertise and availability with the needs of the international campus. Applications for Faculty Mobility are due on October 15 of each year for teaching assignments in the following academic year. Please visit here for more information.

And thank you for your suggestion to add this information to the websteradjunctinfo.org website. We have done so in the “Adjunct Resources” section under “Basic University Information.”

Q: Hi, I take public transport to work or bike as my husband and I share a car that he uses to get to work. I am assuming that the payroll deduction of $7.65 per check is something that I sign up for, if I have a need for a parking space. If not, how do I get exempt from it? Would you clarify for me? Thanks so much. ... Christine Carlsson - October 15, 2015

A: Please be assured that a payroll deduction will not be made unless – and until – you have requested a parking permit from Public Safety. This may have been confusing in earlier communications and we will be posting a clarification to the front page of websteradjunctinfo.org to help ensure everyone understands this new system.

It’s also worth noting again that a deduction will be taken only if both of the following occur: 1) you have requested and been issued a parking permit and 2) you are currently teaching and receiving a paycheck. With this new system we anticipate parking costs will stay the same or be reduced.

On a related subject, we should also note the availability of the “UPass” program, which enables members of the Webster University community to ride both Metrobus and Metrolink for free. This program represents part of our commitment to make transportation more accessible, affordable, and sustainable. Faculty, students, and staff may obtain the passes at the Bursar’s Office in Webster Hall using their Webster photo ID.

Metro buses run regularly between the Shrewsbury Metrolink station and the front of Webster Hall. Parking is also available for UPass users at the Shrewsbury station parking lot.

Your Compensation

Q: What are the paydays for 2020? ... Anonymous - September 16, 2020

A: Thank you for your question. You may find those here. They are located on websteradjunctinfo.org in the “Adjunct Resources” tab.

Q: Are adjunct faculty considered to be exempt or non-exempt? … Anonymous - August 13, 2020

A: Adjunct faculty are considered exempt under the teaching professional exemption of the Fair Labor Standards Act.  

Q: When is the first pay date for Spring 2, 2020 - April 8, 2020

A: April 15. You may find a list of all pay dates here.

Q: Since Webster switched to ADP, it is a constant battle to obtain our W-2. We're supposed to log onto portal.adp.com and ""find it"" from there. Only by infinite trial and error was I able to do that for 2018 or 2017. Trial and error doesn't work today, January 18. Is it too early? Has Webster not reported the information to ADP? Help please! …William Elliot - January 22, 2020

A: Thanks for your question. As you have surmised, ADP handles our W-2 distribution process. They will mail hard copies and also post them online with the stipulation that our employees have access to them by the IRS’ January 31st deadline. Employees will be notified via their webster.edu email address when the W-2s are available online. We also understand that some employees have accessed them within the last 24 to 48 hours.

Q: Pay schedule for 2020? …Anonymous - December 19, 2019

A: For a schedule of payment dates in 2020, please visit here.

Q: Where can I find my recent pay stubs? ... Jim Hinrichs - September 24, 2019

A: ADP offers an employee portal that includes this material. Please visit here for information on how to get started.

Q: I noticed the Adjunct Faculty Pay Date Webpage stops at Spring 2 for 2018. Is it going to be updated soon? ... Kevin Thomas

A: Thank you for letting us know. The page and the links have been updated. You can view that information here.

Q: What are the pay dates for adjuncts? ... Anonymous - January 30, 2018

A: You may find the complete list of adjunct faculty pay dates here.

Q: Where can I find current rates of compensation (Spring I 2018)? Where can I find information as to change of compensation based on length of service? ... Anonymous - January 23, 2018

A: It depends on a number of factors (including years of service), and your chair (or director for extended campuses) will be able to answer specific questions about your situation.

Q: I have been teaching for WU for about 3 years. I am trying to determine the pay scale for adjunct professors; I do recall it was based on years of teaching and trying to determine compensation compared to years of teaching at WU. ... Mark Murtha - April 12, 2017

A: Thank you Mark for your question about adjunct compensation. Because you are teaching at one of our extended campuses, questions regarding adjunct pay are best directed to your Campus Director. For those at the Webster Groves campus with similar questions, please reach out to your Department Chair or your Dean.

Q: What are the pay dates? ... James Speck - April 20, 2016

A: You may find the academic pay dates here.

Q: How and when do I get paid? 

A: Those who teach eight and nine week term courses will be paid in three equal installments. Faculty teaching 16-week courses will be paid in seven equal payments. Visit this link to see payment dates.

Q: Am I eligible for Tuition Remission?  How do I apply? 

A: Adjunct faculty, after completing teaching 36 credit hours or 4 years with Webster, are eligible for up to 6 credit hours of tuition remission per academic year (June 1 - May 31) for any academic year in which they teach. This does not apply to the doctoral program. There is no benefit for spouse or children of adjunct faculty.

Q: Can I participate in a retirement plan?

A: Adjunct faculty are eligible to participate in a Supplemental Retirement plan administered by the Teachers Insurance Annuity Association and College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF). This plan allows you to have a certain percentage of your salary directed into the plan on a tax-deferred basis. There is no matching University contribution to this plan. For questions or to enroll in the plan contact Betsy Schmutz, Associate VP for Human Resources, at schmutz@webster.edu.

Q: I received a teaching appointment email for my Spring 2016 course on 04 December 2015 indicating an enrollment of 24 students (more than double the required enrollment for a course). I began teaching my course on 12 January 2016 with 25 students. I started preparing weeks ahead of the course start date. I received a second teaching appointment email on 26 January 16, but it is "dated" 15 January 2016, with an enrollment of 25 students. It appears that I will not receive my first paycheck until 15 February 2016. I cannot confirm this as the web address on the teaching agreement as well as the hot links to payment schedules on the FAQs page (question posted 23 December 2015 & 'How and when do I get paid?" under "Your Compensation") provide a 'We're Sorry -- We are unable to locate what you are looking for" screen. I have never had any other employment situation where I work for six weeks before I receive any compensation. Hence, I have two questions: 1) When will I get paid my first paycheck for Spring 2016? 2) How can we work with the University to be paid in a more timely fashion?... Elizabeth Sausele - February 23, 2016

A: We are sorry for the broken link. We corrected it on the Adjunct Resources page two weeks ago in response to another question, but we clearly missed its use in the Dec. 23 FAQ response. However, adjunct faculty received their first Spring 1 paycheck on Feb. 12, and subsequent pay dates are: Feb. 29, and March 15.

As for appointment letters, we changed the notification process late last year so that our adjunct faculty could receive their appointment letters before the beginning of the semester. We made this adjustment thanks to your input and concern. We heard them.

Q: I taught for Webster as an adjunct faculty member at the Camp Lejeune, NC campus. I got a new full time position in Rhode Island and lost my connection with the office at Camp Lejeune. Whom do I contact to get my W-2 form for my Webster income mailed to my new address in Rhode Island? Thanks... John Cohn - February 3, 2016

A: Thank you for your question. To have your W-2 sent to your new address, please email the Payroll Office at (pallroll@webster.edu). In your email, please include your new address in Rhode Island with instructions on sending your W-2.

Good luck with your new position, and thank you for your service to Webster University.

Q: The Adjunct Pay Schedule is not loading when I click on the link. I would to know when we’ll receive our first (of three) paycheck for Spring 1.... Ken Lynch - February 3, 2016

A: Thanks for bringing the broken link to our attention. We have corrected the issue on the Adjunct Resources page as well.

To answer your question directly about Spring 1 pay dates, they will be issued on the following dates:
  • Feb. 12
  • Feb. 29
  • Mar. 15

Q: What is the pay schedule for Adjunct Instructors for classes being taught in F2 2015 Graduate Courses? ... Anonymous – December 23, 2015

A: Thank you for your question. You may find the complete list of adjunct faculty pay dates for the 2015-16 academic year here.

Q: What is the minimum number of students for an adjunct faculty to get full pay for that course? ... Anonymous - October 29, 2015

A: In general, there must be five or more students signed up for a course for an adjunct to be paid in full. If that threshold is not reached, Webster University will pay the adjunct $120 per credit hour per student, up to $360 per student.


Q: Can someone please look into repairing the broken copy machine in the adjunct work room on the second level of EAB? It was totally non-functioning Tuesday due to "paper jam", and this morning, it was still a mess. I've just finished printing my finals here at home on my own printer, but there may be more adjunct and full-time faculty who need to use that copy machine tomorrow, and possibly next week. ... Bill Elliott - December 20, 2018.

A: Thanks for the question, Bill. We’ve already alerted the appropriate parties about your problem. Going forward, we recommend for the EAB that you reach out to Lori Sharp at lorisharp08@webster.edu or 314-246-7632. Other contacts for adjunct faculty areas appear below:

  • Sverdrup Building, Room 208

    Susan Napoleon
    Assistant to the Dean
  • Webster Hall, Room 219

    Debby Miller
    Director of Operations
    College of Arts and Sciences
  • Webster Hall 239B (equipped with two desktop computers and a printer)

    Dawna Moore
    Director of Operations
    School of Education
  • EAB, Room 237 (Room access requires a passcode, and is also equipped with 6 or 7 work stations, printer, copier, etc.)

    Lori Sharp
    Director of Operations and Adjunct Faculty Administration
    Walker School of Business and Technology (EAB 300)

  • Browning Hall
    Adjunct Faculty offices are located on the first, third, and fourth floors.
    1st Floor – Room 144 - Adjunct Faculty Office for Nursing and Nurse Anesthesia
    3rd Floor – Room 332 - Adjunct Faculty Office for Biological Sciences, Anthropology & Sociology, and Psychology
    4th Floor - Rooms 406, 432, and 434 - Adjunct Faculty for International Languages and Cultures and English as a Second Language
    Storage lockers will be installed for all adjunct faculty to use and secure their personal belongings.

    If you have equipment problems, please contact Kimberly Jackson, director of Operations, at 314-246-7202, or email her at jackkimb@webster.edu

Q: Does Webster use self-published textbooks from faculty? If so, who should faculty send their request for approval of their textbook? ... Nanette Cazier - December 20, 2018

A: Thank you for your inquiry. Please reach out to your department chair on this issue. They should be able to point you in the right direction. 

Q: Can adjunct professors be used as references for students on their resume, or can only full time professors be references? ... Anonymous - September 27, 2018

A: Yes, of course adjunct faculty may be used as references! Many have done so already and we hope others will do so when appropriate. If you have questions about a specific request or concerns about content, please see your department chair.

Q: Will Webster pay for an adjunct to attend an out of town conference related to the discipline she teaches? ... Anonymous - April 13, 2018

A: One option for you is to check with your Dean. The Dean of each college/school has funds available for professional development.

Another option would be to apply for adjunct professional development funds through Academic Affairs. The application guidelines for the Adjunct Faculty Development Funds are posted in Connections in Office of Academic Affairs Policies and Guidelines Channel. This a once per year award and applications will open mid-August. Currently, we have 15 adjunct faculty who were awarded funds for the current fiscal year.

In addition, there are also two competitive grant opportunities that may also be of interest:

William T. Kemper Award for Excellence in Teaching
Funded by the William T. Kemper Foundation, the Kemper Award for Excellence in Teaching recognizes faculty members who demonstrate teaching at its finest. Up to four Kemper Awards are presented each year: two for full-time faculty members (St. Louis) who will each receive a $10,000 award, and two adjunct faculty members (all campuses) who will each receive a $5,000 award. The Provost appoints a committee to review nominations and materials and recommend the four recipients.

Adjunct Faculty Development Fund
Also administered by the Provost’s office, this fund awards up to $1,000 to support adjunct faculty development initiatives. The application process usually opens in August and closes in mid-September.

We appreciate your interest!

Q: Please let me know how to update my info -- cell and email. I have left my previous employer, and my information from Webster is going to my old email address, which I have no access to…Please advise ... Anonymous - March 28, 2018

A: Thanks for writing. This can seem daunting. To ensure everything is updated, please be sure to do the following:

  1. Payroll/Address Changes
  2. Forwarding your Webster.edu email address
  3. Webster Alerts


Q: How can one pay for the school fee in Webster university? What are the requirements for a candidate to apply in Webster university? ... Anonymous - July 11, 2017

A: A good place to start is the Admissions section of the Webster.edu website. You may access that information here. You will find helpful information about the undergraduate/graduate application process, educational costs, as well as financial aid and scholarships. Take note, there is also a helpful net price calculator. If you have additional questions about the process or the information provided, please contact the Admissions Office directly.

Q: I have the title of Adjunct Full Professor since I have served Webster University for 32 years. I wanted to order a graduation cord, which would reflect such a title. Do you have a suggestion? Thank you. ... Jeri Schultz - April 20, 2016

A: We recommend that you contact Kelly in the Webster University Bookstore either by stopping by or calling 314-968-5936. She will help answer your questions and put you in touch with the representative from Josten’s, if needed. Thanks for your question and congratulations.

Q: Is there a way for the university to provide access to students to the Grammarly website to check their work prior to submitting for grading? ... Anonymous - March 16, 2016

A: While Grammarly offers a free online service available to anyone, we believe our Writing Center, which is available to students as well as faculty, offers a more comprehensive and personalized assistance model. It is, of course, free of charge to our students and faculty. Please check it out and let us know what you think.

Q: To show that you are fostering open communication, I think you should have the outside company publish the focus group discussion points and mail them to all Adjunct Professors. Then, with each point brought up I think you should also publish from the President's office a response to each discussion point. I hope you are going to do this, but if not...I highly suggest it. Too many times, focus groups produce great points that just sit there. You paid a lot of money for these focus groups to take place -- I just suggest that you use the information you gained wisely. ... Anonymous – December 23, 2015

A: Thank you for the suggestion and interest in the focus groups. A communication regarding the focus group topics went to all adjuncts by e-mail today.

In that note, which you can view here, you will see information about three town hall sessions which will give us opportunity to communicate in person about the major topics that came out of the focus groups. We hope you can attend one of these sessions:

  • Tuesday, January 12, 2016, at 4:00 pm, in the Winifred Moore Auditorium
  • Friday, January 15, 2016, at 10:00 am, in the Winifred Moore Auditorium
  • Saturday, February 6, 2016, at 9:00 am, in the Winifred Moore Auditorium

Q: Dear friends, I have presentations and publications to add to my resume. How do you recommend adding? ... Anonymous - October 15, 2015

A: First, if you are asking how to update your resume on file with the University, add the new presentations and publications to your current resume and submit it to your academic department chair or program lead, along with a request that they place the revised CV in your departmental file with a copy to the Office of Academic Affairs.

If you really want to overhaul your resume, it is a good idea to put your presentations and publications in a format that is most appropriate for your discipline. You may find some helpful information here. You can also contact the library reference desk for citation specifics or to find example CVs.

If you need more assistance or general support, please contact the Faculty Development Center (FDC) at askfdc@webster.edu. The FDC is a wide-ranging and deep resource, which is available to all of our faculty members. The FDC offers assistance on a variety of topics, including faculty professional development activities for teaching and learning, access and support for teaching and other technology, assistance finding the appropriate support offered within the university, and a beautiful space for faculty members to work on Webster Groves campus.

Q: Currently I am an Adjunct Professor at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, MO. I am planning to relocate to the Jacksonville, FL area within 2016 and would very much like to apply for an Adjunct Faculty position at the Webster University Jacksonville, FL campus. Would you kindly advise me as to how I might proceed in making application for an adjunct teaching position at your Jacksonville campus. Thank you very much.... Judd F. Holder, BS, MBA, MHA - February 3, 2016

A: Good luck with your transition to Florida. For a list of current adjunct faculty openings at our Home and extended campuses, please visit our Human Resources webpage. In addition, for those interested in teaching on one of our extended campuses like Jacksonville, we recommend you also reach out to the director of the campus you are interested in applying to. You can find all of our campus locations (nationally and internationally) here. The names of the directors of each campus are listed on that campus’ website.

Q: I taught Management & Leadership classes 5-7 years ago (most recently at the Winghaven Campus) before I moved out of state. I very much enjoyed it and got consistently high review rating from my students. I am going to be moving back to St.Louis this coming Spring and would like to re-engage with you and my teaching activities. What are the possibilities & what would be needed for me to do so? Thank You. ... Vince Higbee – December 23, 2015

A: Openings for adjunct faculty positions for the main campus and for extended U.S. and international locations are posted on the Human Resources web page with instructions on how to apply.

People interested in adjunct faculty positions may also send letters of interest and CVs to the Office of the Dean of the appropriate school – in your case the interim dean of the Walker School of Business and Technology is Dr. Thomas Johnson (deansbt@webster.edu).

The Dean’s Office forwards materials to the appropriate department, which will follow up if the CV matches with the needs of the department.

Full-time faculty appointments, which include status-track faculty, instructors, and lecturers, are also posted on the Human Resource web page when they are available.

Q: I’d like to learn more about part-time adjunct opportunities to teach in the evenings at your Westport campus. What are the criteria for application, schedule commitment, business subjects available? ... Anonymous - October 15, 2015

A: Adjunct teaching opportunities at any campus location will always depend upon the needs of the campus and the credentials of the faculty candidates. Hiring for the St. Louis area campuses is coordinated through the school and college offices at the Webster Groves campus. Please contact the academic department chair or program lead for the course(s) you are interested in teaching to explore upcoming opportunities at Westport or any other St. Louis area location.